Mosiah 4:15
"But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another."

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 24, 2011

Well family I am alive and well. My first week has been amazing as I have worked harder than I have in my life. But I have loved every moment of it. Today was our first district meeting and it was so fun to meet the other Elders. We have 6 in our district and mine and Elder Wirkus area is one of the biggest in the Mission. It has been so fun walking and walking and trying to talk. The area I am in is alot like southern Cali where grandpa lives and all the houses are alot smaller. There have been so many great experiences already as all week we worked hard attending appointments and then contacting alot alot. We had alot of people let us in as they are all very polite here and are open to hearing about new things but we did not have too much success as we contacted alot. It was not until sat night that we found this one family near to our house and they just loved every word and wanted to read and pray and then we challenged them to baptism and they accepted and set a date and all for them to prepare. This is what you call Escogidos, chosen ones, and we worked all week to find them. WE are going to their house tonight. I can't wait to see how things turn out as I have really been praying for them. Yesterday was district or stake conference and so all the people w invited to come with us did not show up but we did not get to down about it as we watched in over flow or something like it, Elder Snow of the 70 and Elder Holland speak to us. It was very special and Elder Holland even started his talk in Spanish and bore testimony at the end is Spanish, this was all so awesome and he spoke about temples too just like you dad. It was just wonderful. So there have been some strange experiences here also more like strange people, but I just love them even more. Everyone here is so nice and just loves to talk to you so it is easy. This week I have just been saying Si alot and nodding my head as sometimes I don't understand anything that they say here. I usually do very well but I get lost sometimes. Everything is just so much faster here and its hard to keep up but I have been learning so much everyday. Its been really amazing to me. My companion is such a great teacher and all of the members say his Spanish is really good and people say that I have a good accent to. I don't say alot though because I am constantly trying to translate every word and this makes you really tired. Wow well is so great at the same time and the last walk back to the house every night I feel like I am walking out of Disneyland after a long day of  fun and happiness. My area is really safe here to I never feel in danger but my companion knows what to do if there is danger. Oh yes and one last experience was yesterday at lunch with the members a family of A mother and 2 boys and they were just great. At one point the mom asked me if I though Mexico was interesting or not and I did not understand and just said no and the older son looked at me and said, Elder La Puerta, or the door. They all just laughed and it was just a crazy time with all of them. I really am learning so much everyday about péople and about teaching and about myself, finding the strength in myself and then putting all of it in the Lord and I am able to work my hardest every day. It is so fun. I have come to really know that this is not my work but His and there is no way that I can do it on my own. Its been tough coming to learn this but now I am so much happier. Family I am doing great and this week has really flown by. I'm so glad to hear about PH2 and loose teeth and b-ball tournaments and all the fun things in this life. So has the i-phone finally come to verizon? That's crazy!

So all in all I'm doing great and really love all of you and my job here. Thank you for all of your patience and prayers.

 
 

Elder Larkin


 

No comments:

Post a Comment